It is hard to believe that we have just entered the last few weeks of spring with summer on our doorstep. The weather is cooperating and our beloved annuals are getting the sunlight they so desire.
Be prepared to give your plants some extra TLC when the weather has been hot and dry for long spells.
See some of our gardening tips for June:
- Apply extra watering to newly planted plants or to those susceptible to heat stress. (Not sure if this applies to your plants? Just contact us.
- Stay on top of the rapidly growing weeds which also thrive in the sunshine, keep plants looking good by regularly dead-heading, and check plant leaves for signs of nutrient deficiency.
- Be prepared in case of a late frost. Keep vulnerable plants protected if frost is forecasted.
- Allow spring blooming trees and shrubs to completely finish their bloom cycle before pruning.
- Use a 15-30-15 fertilizer or slow-release, granular fertilizer as an important spring feeding.
- Stake your tomatoes and other vining vegetables. Tomato cages help to increase yields while decreasing disease by keeping fruit upright and off the ground.
- Make sure the birds have fresh water in birdbaths or shallow dishes in the garden.
Whether you have yet to start your gardens, or are looking to add to an existing garden, we continue to add and maintain healthy bedding plants, perennials, trees and shrubs throughout the summer!
Father’s Day is June 16th…
Van Luyk’s offers an array of ideas to ensure Father’s Day gift-giving is stress-free and a hit with Dad!
- Consider a veggie container garden or patio tomato mix that Dad can place strategically near the BBQ! (To give an online order, just click http://bit.ly/2F01sha.
- A low-maintenance, easy-to-grow shrub (such as or juniper) or an ornamental grass will give Dad extra time to relax this summer.
- Succulents and cacti are an all-time favourite, but beware – they can be habit-forming! We have all you need to plant your own succulents at our succulent station, including succulent soil, pots and planters, decorative stone and moss.
- If your Dad prefers to make his own choices when it comes to gardening, a Van Luyk gift card is sure to please.
- Or check out our gift shop for some fun and unique garden decor!
We are open 7 days a week. Our operation hours in this season are: Mon-Fri 8am-8pm, Sat-Sun 9am-6pm.